Sunday, November 08, 2009

The Vikings had a bye week



The football games on television today were sucky (Oh how I miss Direct TV and NFL Sunday Ticket) so I ended up watching a movie called Family Man. The plot revolves around a rich, successful, Wall Street playboy (Nicholas Cage). He tries to aid a would-be robber (Don Cheadle) and the robber gives him a "glimpse" of what life would have been like had he married his college girlfriend (Tea Leoni). Instead of a NY penthouse and more money and sexy girlfriends then one man should have, he has a house in the suburbs, 2 kids and a job selling tires for his father in-law. He has a dog and bowls in a league. He has to buy clothes off the rack (GASP!)
Nick's character gets to weigh and measure one life against the other....that got me thinking.

I guess I am really blessed, because, you know, while there are things I would do differently I would have chosen this path anytime, any place, anywhere. I love my life and wouldn't trade it for anything else. God blessed me with so much more then I ever dared dream of! I still can't believe it all is really real.

That being said, there is room for improvement. This autumn seems to be a period of introspection for me and I am making a list (and checking it twice! Sorry. I couldn't help myself) Of things that I want to do or be or see or even have. EVERYTHING I EVER WANTED.

Next I will look at each goal and make a list of what needs to be done to accomplish my goal and what stands in my way.

Thirdly I will plan how to achieve my goals. One at a time. Step by step.

Our God is a loving and generous God. He gives to his children not in a miserly way, but with abundance. I am living proof of that. So I will try, in the coming months, to have the faith I claim to have, believing not only in God's goodness, but believing in myself as well.

To learn more about goal setting, try and find a copy of the tape set "Dynamics of Personal Goal Setting" by Paul J. Meyer

Oh, and if you like Nicholas Cage in chick flick mode, you might like Family Man. Not his finest work, but a sweet movie none the less.

No comments: