Sunday, May 11, 2008

Today I saw a short blurb in the local paper

Sybil Stockdale, widow of Vice Admiral James Stockdale, center, joined by granddaughter Elizabeth Stockdale, left, and assisted by Jim Favreau, of Bath Iron Works, right, releases a bottle to christen the Arleigh Burke Class destroyer Stockdale, Saturday, May 10, 2008 at Bath Iron Works in Bath, Maine
I "know" these people! I learned about them several years ago from reading a biography they wrote called In Love And War. It is an account of their lives when Jim was taken prisoner by the North Vietnamese after being shot down. They take turns writing. One chapter is Sybil telling what she was doing and thinking and the next would be the Admiral describing his life and thoughts. This is one of the best books I have ever, ever read! I was so pleased to read they honored his memory and his service by commissioning a destroyer in his name. I only wish it had been an aircraft carrier. What a man! What a woman! What a love story! You've GOT to read this book.

No comments: