Monday, February 18, 2008

George Washington (1732 -1799)





There are times in history when providence takes a hand and the absolute right man for the job appears. During our nation's struggle for independence and the birth of the United States of America we were blessed with George Washington.

Today is President's Day. We used to celebrate George's birthday, but now we just lump it together with all the other guys who found there way into the presidency. I think it is very sad that the man who set the example of what an American leader should be is not remembered by more then department store sales on a generic Federal holiday.

I don't suppose he would care. He was a modest and retiring man. But by not remembering those who built and began this country, we are losing the best part of ourselves as a people. We are losing sight of what America is supposed to be. We are losing sight of what we as Americans are supposed to be.

Happy Birthday George!

5 comments:

Nancy said...

I 100% agree with you. I liked it way back when. You are so right, he is what this country should be about. Where we are headed, I just don't really want to think about.

Mrs. G. said...

Amen. Almost all of our American holiday are centered around sales and spending money.

Paula said...

To you, George!

Vee said...

You're one of the few who has even mentioned Presidents' Day and I think you're correct in saying that George Washington deserves special honor. I do believe that he was the man for that hour and we are blessed because of his lead. Thank you for a great post and the reminder!

Lena said...

I've always been a fan of Mr. Washington's. I've always respected his honesty, most of all. When I read the quote that you've put in your sidebar, I am reminded of his respect for the idea that out of many, we are one. I think he would have respected the view, that more than one religion is valid in these United States of America. I think that founding principal, is becoming lost in our country today.