Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Hanging plates

Before we moved here I tore some photos out of a decorating magazine that looked like the dining room that I wanted. It was yellow and decorated with blue willow designed dishes hanging on the wall. The problem was that the plate hangers not only didn't fit odd sized dishes, but got a little pricey at $2 each. So I did what I usually do. I asked myself, "What would Martha do?" (O.K. not really. I googled it and came up with these home made plate hangers from her website) All I needed was 8 gauge wire. Which, evidently NO ONE in this part of Buffalo stocks, so I settled for 6 gauge. It cost me $6 for a HUGE roll that will allow me to hang plates from now until dooms day!!

Cut 2 pieces of the wire about 4-6 inches wider than the dish. Take one piece, make a v and twist the end until you get a little "hoop". Take the second piece bend it into a v and put it through the first piece. I twisted these together and when done they sort of look like a stick figure. Then, place the dish in the middle bend the "arms" and "legs" around so the dish fits snugly. Use a wire cutter and snip the excess wire off the front and Voila!!!

This is my wall so far. I am so pleased with how it's turning out! Now I need to figure a cute way to display cups too!

5 comments:

Lisa Steptoe said...

I oh so hate you! Crafty BEEYATCH! UGGGGGAH.

Paula said...

Very cool and sneaky!!! I like it!!

Susie Q said...

Love the blue and white wall...I have so much b and w and LOVE it all. I LOVE plates on walls...just so pretty!

Hugs,
Sue

Jen Kershner said...

Your plates look great! I think that is such a hard thing to arrange and do it well but you have mastered it!

Vee said...

That wall just looks marvelous! I adore blue and yellow combinations...always have.