Monday, August 02, 2010

I rode my bike to church yesterday!


I normally like to attend early Mass, but sometimes I just can't get the family out of bed in time. Then again, sometimes I can't get ME out of bed in time! LOL
When this happens we often attend 11 o'clock Mass at the small church down the road....about 2 miles down the road.
About a 1/2 hour before Mass was supposed to start, I get this brilliant idea to ride my bike down. It's not too bad a ride and most of the hill part is down hill. So off I go...leaving Joe to load up the rest of the gang into the van and follow.
It did not take long for me to begin sweating and puffing! Dear Lord, I am soooo out of shape! It only took 15 minutes or so, but it was a very long and painful 15 minutes! I can tell you that!
Mass is an hour long. I prayed for rain so as to have an excuse to get a ride back home (it had occurred to me by this time that hills going home were UPHILL). No such luck. I must have said a hundred Hail Mary's going home. All I wanted was to not have to get off and push the bike. That would just be too humiliating.
At long last I saw the neighbor's barn in front of me! It was like a miracle! My legs were aching. I was huffing and puffing. But I did it! I could hardly climb the three steps on the porch to get in the house, but I did it!
You probably are thinking "big deal", and to you maybe it isn't much. But to me, it was a good beginning. And you know what? Maybe I'll just go get me one of those Nike shirts that says....
JUST DO IT
I think I've earned it.

3 comments:

Diane said...

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

Paula said...

Good job, Terri! Love your bike and the basket~

Unknown said...

way to go GF...you are one up on most of us for sure. Love the bike color..not to worry about any creep taking it. haha..