Saturday, November 21, 2009

Treasure in our own back yard





Matt and Gillian had a 4H activity at a local historical site this morning. The Granger Homestead is a gorgeous federal style mansion in Canandaigua. Built by Gideon Granger (postmaster general under Thomas Jefferson and James Madison) as his "retirement home" it is now the site of many community activities. This morning it was "The Festival of Trees".






How often have I driven past this gorgeous old place in the last 10 years and this was the first time I had ever gone inside? Maybe a thousand? I had briefly contemplated dropping the kids off and running my errands, but I am so glad I didn't. It was just lovely! And all the trees and wreaths mantle decorations were so beautiful! I cannot wait to go back for sleigh rides once the snow finally arrives! And I want to go on one of the house tours (they are seasonal, so not happening until spring) and learn more about the Granger family and this phenomenal old house.
I have got to wonder, what else I have missed around here. Lots of times (especially here in the country) it's easy to whine about there be nothing to do. But by just looking around a little bit, I have found so many neat places and things to do lately. I'm only sorry it's taken me so long to open my eyes to all the wonderful places to visit in Western NY.
Here's a challenge for you...What wonderful, historical and/or interesting places do you pass by on a regular basis never knowing what your missing? Maybe it would be worth your while to check a little closer sometime. Treasure is everywhere. All you gotta do is look!




1 comment:

Unknown said...

Terri, Since I have been doing Valentine shows I have been getting to see more places that I never knew existed. So much fun to Discover these wonderful places. Lucky you to be near this one!