Sunday, January 25, 2009

Everything old is new again


It has been quite an exciting few weeks around here and I have been a little overwhelmed with plans and ideas and questions...to the point that it is now 3 a.m. and I can't sleep. Again.

As many of you know, we have 2 houses. This one in a nice suburban neighborhood near Buffalo and a second home in the Finger Lakes that we have been renting to a family who had plans to buy it from us. You know what they say about the best laid plans of mice and men? Well, the tenants decided to divorce and move out of the house. This means 2 mortgages and all the upkeep normal for a house is doubled.

The thing is, as nice as this house in Buffalo is and as much as we like it, we miss the country and that old Victorian that we didn't get much of a chance to enjoy ourselves. So, we talked it over, consulted the kids and decided to put the Buffalo house on the market and move back to the Finger Lakes and all our friends down there.

It had been about a year and a half since I had been inside the house, before Joe and I drove down there on Friday morning. I was somewhat stunned to see the "wear and tear" on the house. It's going to need some fixing up, inside and out. Oh nothing is unfixable, but I certainly hadn't considered that I would have to do quite so much work on the inside as will now be necessary.

Add to that that I have to get this house ready to sell and kept clean and ready to show at a moments notice, and I think you'll understand if I am lax in blogging for the next few months.

The best part about moving back there is that I have friends there. I support system for when I have to get out of the house and talk to an adult. I have people who care about me and my family and will lend and ear or a hand or even, occasionally, farm equipment! LOL

So as this latest chapter in our lives unfolds I will try and keep you updated when possible. I hope you'll still stop by and visit from time to time. There are going to be some exciting changes going on this spring and summer and I'd like to share them with you.

9 comments:

Nancy said...

What a beautiful house. I am so sorry the renters didn't take good care of it. It sounds like you will be happy to return, even if it means work to do.
Hope you are able to sell your house in Buffalo very quickly.
Nancy

Laura said...

Good luck, Terri! I'll look forward to reading about your new adventure.

Best wishes,
Laura

Unknown said...

Terri,
What a beautiful home. I'm so glad you are returning. I dont think I would have ever left. Anyway, you are close to being home soon. If I lived near by, I would be visiting all the time, like a pest that loves your home the best!
/Shilrey

Anonymous said...

It is the most magnificent grand old Victorian home!! I'm so glad you'll be enjoying it once again and that you'll once again be surrounded by close friends.

Michelle said...

It sounds like it was a good thing that the other couple didn't end up buying the house, since now you're able to move back in! sorry to hear there was so much wear and tear on it and it needs fixing up though! Hope all goes smoothly with getting one house on the market and sold and the other one moved in to!

Heidi said...

You know how I feel about you and that house Terri. You belong there! Maybe in the end, when things are calmer, you will be glad you have to do some things as a way to claim it back as your own again. I am praying that your house in Buffalo sells very quickly so you can move. I am sure it already looks great as you did so much work on it.

Hugs ~
Heidi

Paula said...

I don't think I've ever seen a picture of your "old" house. I absolutley LOVE it and can see exactly why you want to go back. It's gorgeous and you'll have it fixed back up in no time. There's so much to be said for the support system that it sounds like you have in Finger Lakes as well. It'll be a great move back home!
xoxo

Susie Q said...

What a stunning house and the land! Just beautiful...
What a shame that the renters did not appreciate this beauty and treat it accordingly. I kow you will all put it back the way it deserves to be.
I had never seen this home before and am truly in awe! The area there is groious...what an excitng adventure for you all.
I look forwaqrd to reading about it all.

Love,
Sue

Lena said...

Well goodness, my head is spinning! I think both your homes are very nice, but if I had that old Victorian in the country, I'd be swooning with delight. It's beautiful, and will be worth the work it will take to bring it back to it's glory. I'd love to live in the country, and I'm hoping one day, that will happen.

Good luck to you and your family Terri.