Sunday, August 10, 2008

Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day



The DVD with Amy Adams and Francis McDormand is scheduled to be released on the 19th. I really want to see it, since I missed it at the movies! In the meantime, I borrowed the 1938 book written by Winifred Watson from the library. OH! What a lovely, fun read!
It reminds me very much of the style of the Thin Man Movies. Everyone in tuxes and evening gowns in a mad social whirl (Don't you wish people still dressed to dine and ladies weren't really dressed until they had their hats and gloves?)
The story about a middle aged woman who has done everything she should and is now on the brink of homelessness. She mistakenly is sent on the wrong job interview and, summoning up all her courage, she bravely grabs hold of a life she has only dreamed of before even if it's only for one day. I loved the book and can't wait for the DVD to come out. Until then, I think I'll see if the library has any other of Mrs. Watson's books.

3 comments:

Laura said...

Loved your review! I'm going to have to try out the book since I loved the movie.

Best wishes,
Laura

Lena said...

This is one of the books that I read last year, and I enjoyed it very much. I enjoyed the movie too, but I was glad that I had read the book first.

kari and kijsa said...

Thank you for all your support and prayers!

blessings,
kari & kijsa