Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Today's adventures....





I began my day by ripping up the hideous and horrible carpeting that was in my dining room. I am not a fan of carpeting in a dining room anyway, but this carpet was a very light oatmeal color and has been a thorn in my side since we moved in! Underneath the carpeting was the foam pad. Under THAT is some more really old carpeting that is glued to tile underneath. My first goal was to remove the top carpet layer and the padding. After that, I needed to go buy a mask so as not to breathe in the particles of old adhesive that I would be scraping from the floor. Not wanting go out in my now dirty jammies, I got cleaned up, went to Curves, the market, the library and the hardware store and rushed right home to continue my joyous labors. Right after I stopped at this store :
to see if they had doll furniture, and boy oh boy do they! Whole showcases full of the stuff! I even so teeny tiny Blue Willow China!!!
Anyway, the only issue I had with removing the carpeting was the gas fireplace. The brilliant folks who put in the carpeting sat that baby right on top of all those layers and I am afraid to move it too much by myself. I'll get Joe to help me with that when he gets home as I feel that ripping open the gas line while trying to move it by myself is probably not a good idea! (That's Alice in front of the fireplace, by the way)
.At any rate, I pulled up about 1/4 of the second layer of carpeting and scraped the backing and adhesive off the tile below. It is not a hard job, just tedious. I think I'll leave it there and finish up tomorrow as I have starving children on their way home from school and I need to get them fed and be back at the middle school for the big concert tonight.
I am SO excited to be getting this new flooring! My husband is the absolute best husband. EVER. Anywhere. At anytime! Further updates as they occur!

3 comments:

Cottage Contessa said...

Hi Terri! OOhhh I love a home reno project, and I can't wait to see your dining room completed! I wanted to thank you too for visiting my blog and taking the time to leave a comment. I really appreciate that a lot and hope to see you again soon! Hope you're having a lovely day!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Heidi said...

That is lots of hard work Terri! You did not need to go to Curves. LOL! Now are you planning on cleaning the tile floor and using it or will you be using something else on the floor? Can't wait to see it...

Please tell Joe I said a belated Happy Birthday!

Hugs ~
Heidi

Brown English Muffin said...

You're a woman after my heart...I love doing projects like these..and most women would shy away from them not thinking they're capable!

I can't wait to see the final product...we have a gas fire place similar to yours slightly different design and it gives out such good heat everyone is amazed when they come over.

So is Alice a boston terrier? I can't really tell.