Wednesday, March 26, 2008

March Madness!


Not the kind you may think. The University of Kentucky is out it and unless the University of Louisville makes it to the final 4, I could care less about basketball right now!
No, this madness was that on Monday, with all the children home on a school holiday, THE MEAN MAMA banned all computers, t.v.s, video games and game boys from 7a.m.-7p.m. Those poor children were actually required to DO something! Oh! The horror!
After a certain amount of whining, they all actually found things to do. Ben was practicing guitar. Matt was reading. Gillian was drawing and Joey was flirting with girls. (Jimmy never got out of bed until after lunch, the lazy bum).
I had a few errands to run. When I returned I announced I was going to the library. I ended up taking not only 4 of mine but 3 extras!!! It was a different branch then we usually go to, and it had a somewhat larger selection of materials. That always makes it more interesting.
Matt had called the YMCA and open pool was 4-5 so we suited up and went swimming.
Upon returning home the kids next door had a basket ball game going. The boys all joined in that and Gillian went biking riding with another neighbor.
Admittedly, by the time supper was through, they were counting the minutes until 7. But, all in all I thought it was a great day. In fact, it was the kind of day we need to repeat frequently!

3 comments:

Nancy said...

What a great idea. It is amazing
how the kids depend on electronics.
It sounds like all of you had a wonderful day together. They might even ask you to do it again sometime. I bet they will remember it at least. Good job.

Lara Neves said...

Good for you! I generally ban movies/tv on weekdays, but I have been more and more lax the last few months. I think we're ALL happier when we're not glued to the screen!

Paula said...

Sounds like a great day to me ~ swimming, library, bike riding. When mine were small one summer, our tv died at the very beginning of summer and I didn't replace it until fall time. It was a very good summer!