Wednesday, February 06, 2008

media inspirations

Oh! Where to begin with Media inspirations??
I adore old movies...especially from the 30s. I love the styles. I love the use of words. I love the hats!!!! I know it's Hollywood fiction, but the Andy Hardy movies are how life should be..."come on gang! Let's put on a show!"

People should dress for dinner and all women should have evening gowns and all men should have tuxes and everybody should drink champagne on an almost daily basis. Wouldn't that be wonderful?
My taste in today's cinema runs towards romantic comedy. The straight drama tend to be preachy and generally leaves me wondering why in heck I spent $7 and 2 hours of my life listening to a bunch of people with few morals in the personal life tell me what's right and wrong.
Still, there is the occasional exception...I saw Dead Poet society in the movie theater and wept so hard I scared Joe!!

I like quite a few of the BBC pieces...the Hercule Poroit series, The Miss Marple series, The Jane Austin period pieces...How can I resist the lavish sets and wonderful clothes?
My taste in music is also pretty eclectic. I love the crooners...Rosemary Clooney, Dinah Shore, Perry Como, Frank Sinatra...sigh the songs had words that not only could be understood, but identified with!!

Much of the time I listen to classical. Bach and Beethoven, Handel...So much emotion and not a word of it spoken and yet the meaning is so clear...I find the classics relaxing. They soothe me and comfort me.

Then there's jazz. Louis Armstrong and Ella Fitzgerald. I'm not into too much of the newer stuff and I REALLY Don't like fusion, but I like classic Louis!
For getting me moving (house cleaning, painting stuff like that) I still listen to the 70s and 80s stuff. Even my kids listen to it now. It's the music a grew up to and the memories that flow through my mind when certain songs come on make me remember so many wonderful times shared with friends...
I never claimed to be "a deep thinker". I know alot of people will find my tastes vacuous and "low brow". I don't care, these things make me smile. They make me feel good. What's so bad about that?



No comments: