Monday, January 07, 2008

A Family Trip


We ran off to Baltimore last week to see Joe's uncle, who was very ill and to enjoy the company of family and friends. We even got in a little late Christmas, as we were not able to visit during the holidays.

Joey's girlfriend, Audi, bravely faced the ENTIRE Pollhein clan...well, most of them anyway. She lived to tell about it too! Amazing!
I found this great magazine to look at during the trip.
First thing this morning, I am sending in the card and starting my subscription!
Joe's Grandad is hospitalized right down the hall from his uncle.
I thought Grandad looked pretty good, myself, and all the little nurse's aids told us how much the loved Walter.
There was a 2 hour gap between
our leaving there and when Joe's parents would be home, so I killed time
shopping at one of my FAVORITE stores in the world Ikea. I could live there!
My only gripe is that there isn't one in Buffalo.



After a nice visit with them, we went to our home-away-from home at the Steptoes. Lisa has an area that they call the retreat. I wish I had taken pictures of it! She has it done up so nicely! I especially like the chaise...sigh. Anyway, after throwing down our bags we ran down stairs where Lisa fixed us "lemon drops". Wow!

Here's the recipe:


Lemon Drop Martini
1 1/2 ounces vodka1/2 ounce Triple Sec1 teaspoon superfine sugar3/4 ounce freshly squeezed lemon juiceIce cubes Superfine sugar for dipping Twisted peel of lemon
Mix the vodka, Triple Sec, sugar, and lemon juice in a cocktail shaker half-filled with ice; shake well (supposedly the cocktail is to be shaken 40 times to make sure the sugar is well blended). Pour strained liquor into sugar-rimmed martini glass and garnish with a twisted peel of lemon.
NOTE: To create a sugar-rimmed glass, take a lemon wedge and rub the drinking surface of the glass so it is barely moist. Dip the edge of the glass into sugar.
Makes 1 serving.
The Steptoes are the kind of friends, where if you were allowed to choose your own relatives, we would choose them. And NOBODY treats guests better then they do!! Lisa's mom got in on the act by making Shrimp Scampi from a recipe in The Barefoot Contessa Family Style. HEAVEN!!!

After visiting and eating and drinking and shopping and more eating drinking and visiting, we had to go. As lovely as it is to visit, it always feels so good to get home again, and look what was waiting for me:

A new plate for my Blue Willow Collection! Isn't it cool? I love it!!!

Today it's back to reality. I have tons and tons of laundry to do, Groceries to get, the Christmas tree should probably come down sometime between now and Valentines day, and I have a ton of letters to write! Then it's CCD this afternoon (I promised them tarts today, so I have to bake those too!).

In honor of my upcoming 3000th visitor, I am hosting a little give-a-way. Anyone who leaves me a comment this week will be entered in the drawing! Good luck!

4 comments:

Lisa Steptoe said...

You KNOW I wanna win.

Paula said...

Hey Terri,
Sounds like a great trip. Hope Grandpa and Uncle are doing better. Love that fish plate~going to look fabulous on your wall!
I'm having a little giveaway this week also. Hop on over...

Susie Q said...

What a great trip! I LOVE that blue willow fishie!
I am glad your dear family members are doing better.

Blessings to you all!

Hugs,
Sue

Church Diva said...

Over Lisa's death body will she win. I wanna play!!!