Sunday, July 01, 2007

The Princess of Wales


I remember setting the alarm clock so that I would get up early to watch her wedding. I was only a year older then Diana and she really did seem like the princess in a fairy tale: So young and beautiful. I sat there in my little apartment drinking General Foods International coffee (mocha mint!) and weeping for the joy of it....for the beauty of the moment.

I remember sitting at my vanity Labor day weekend. I was putting on makeup and getting ready to go to church, when Joe came in and told me she had been killed in a car crash.
I remember watching her boys walking behind her casket. And seeing the crowds of people weeping. I wept myself and wasn't sure why the death of someone I never met should affect me so.

This weekend her sons' held one hell of a benefit concert in her name. I still feel weepy at the memory of her and her shining, sad, beautiful, tragic life. I hope somehow she knows now how loved she was. How important her being here was to so many people in so many different ways.
I hope her boys take after her in their adult lives and in how they treat the people around them.
And I really, really pray her heart so abused in this life by people who should have cherished and protected her is finally at rest.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Oh I know exactly how you feel. I remember watching the wedding as well as the funeral and feeling exactly the same way. So tragic.